pouët.net

Bad ass girlz

category: residue [glöplog]
Video-game pioneer Carol Shaw springs to mind. Her Atari VCS River Raid was a master piece, sold well, and enabled her an early retirement. And that is amazing!
added on the 2021-04-13 12:19:17 by noname noname
Seriously, just relax, I thought could be nice to have a list of links to female coders.

I feel now, like I need to justify the intentions of this board?

ok:
1) encourage my nephew to learn skills and view demos
2) reason to defend myself against my female friends joke comments : "ah! that nerdie thing you did at the parties, it's a guys only thing! freaks!"
added on the 2021-04-13 12:21:41 by JaK JaK
Quote:
If you feel people calling out outdated views (how well intended they might be) mockery the problem is with you and not them. You could also read what they are actually saying.


I'm saying that if one is making the argument that language, even when there is no malicious intent, is a way of creating a hostile or even dangerous environment, then I think it'd be pertinent to consider how one's own words might be perceived and received and what effects that might have.
added on the 2021-04-13 12:28:38 by g r ü p g r ü p
Quote:
I feel now, like I need to justify the intentions of this board?


"I posted something publicly and got comments and now i can't silently retract it when they are not to my liking?"

this is literally how the world works, actions, consequences, etc.

And I assume you mean 'niece' when you talk about nephew and this is a language barrier thing. Again, nobody here assumes bad intentions from you. Awesome you want get her to be interested in code and find some role models for her. Post about that openly than and some weird 'bad ass girlzzzzzz' topic with just a link to some github.
added on the 2021-04-13 12:34:12 by okkie okkie
Quote:
Quote:
If you feel people calling out outdated views (how well intended they might be) mockery the problem is with you and not them. You could also read what they are actually saying.


I'm saying that if one is making the argument that language, even when there is no malicious intent, is a way of creating a hostile or even dangerous environment, then I think it'd be pertinent to consider how one's own words might be perceived and received and what effects that might have.


what hostile and dangerous environment are you talking about? None of that is the applicable here.
added on the 2021-04-13 12:35:20 by okkie okkie
Quote:
. Awesome you want get her to be interested in code and find some role models for her. Post about that openly than and some weird 'bad ass girlzzzzzz' topic with just a link to some github.

Exactly this.

Also:
Quote:
I thought could be nice to have a list of links to female coders.

Do you have any idea why someone might find this creepy and inappropriate?
added on the 2021-04-13 12:37:57 by Preacher Preacher
something something girl basic
added on the 2021-04-13 13:00:46 by HellMood HellMood
pointing out stereotypes to break stereotypes is probably not the right way to go. but hey, you can tell the same to pretty much every (societal) movement in the news these days :P
added on the 2021-04-13 13:03:38 by havamal havamal
Quote:
what hostile and dangerous environment are you talking about? None of that is the applicable here.


The word used in this thread, was "toxic" ("extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful" according to Merriam-Webster). I'd also argue that if someone was creeped out by the original post, then it's at least not perceived as a friendly online environment.

Perhaps I'm being unclear - I'm not referring to your posts. I think your comment on the original subject matter was one of the constructive ones and I think an approach like that is preferable.

Anyway, I've made my point. You don't have to agree with me. That's fine. If you want to discuss it, that's fine too. I am at least old-fashioned in the sense that I try (and, admittedly, thus also sometimes fail) to adhere to the principle of charity, and believe that respectful discussion can be a fruitful way to if not find agreement then at least understand a disagreement a little bit better. I do however sincerely think that my point is applicable to the events unfolding in this thread.
added on the 2021-04-13 13:10:20 by g r ü p g r ü p
Jeezus wtf happened to otherwise friendly people in here. One person opens a somewhat clumsy thread, and "the moral police" is all over. Where does this kind of bashing come in under the code of conduct thing?

Some people need to get the vaccine fast and gtfo and chill out with some cold beer and warm people. Staying inside got yall lose your minds :O I don't wanna come to some woke ass demoparty when shit opens up.

Im certain females in the scene and in general are perfectly capable to fend for them self if they feel like it. No white knights needed.
added on the 2021-04-13 13:24:30 by tFt tFt
Quote:
Im certain females in the scene and in general are perfectly capable to fend for them self if they feel like it. No white knights needed.


yes this is possible

however, there's two things with this that make it not very practical:

1. it gets very old very quickly, and people (from all sides in this argument) would very definitley rather do something else with their time

2. there's often quite a number of bad things, even if you don't immediately see it -- many people have lots of good experiences with the scene, and are thus surprised that it's different for others

so in the effect, some bad stuff keeps happening without people going against it. this makes it look like it's ok, even if it's not -- even if the intentions are well! if you stand on someone's toes, completely by accident, you also stop doing that and apologise, right? so why does it have to be different in this case?
added on the 2021-04-13 13:45:56 by porocyon porocyon
@OKkie
Quote:
And I assume you mean 'niece' when you talk about nephew

Yes Laura. my mistake. rusty english :D
added on the 2021-04-13 13:58:12 by JaK JaK
Quote:
The word used in this thread, was "toxic" ("extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful" according to Merriam-Webster). I'd also argue that if someone was creeped out by the original post, then it's at least not perceived as a friendly online environment


Alright, noted, I personally think you put a lot of weight on how the word 'toxic' was used in this thread. I feel all people in this thread try to explain their points, but i see where you come from.

Quote:
Jeezus wtf happened to otherwise friendly people in here. One person opens a somewhat clumsy thread, and "the moral police" is all over.


This is not for you to decide, also the times, they are a-changin, tft! But it's all for the best :)

Quote:
Some people need to get the vaccine fast and gtfo and chill out with some cold beer and warm people. Staying inside got yall lose your minds :O I don't wanna come to some woke ass demoparty when shit opens up.



The thread by itself is quite chill tbh? People seem to have a good, reasonable discussion with clearly laid out points? Maybe you don't like the points made, i dunno..
added on the 2021-04-13 13:59:20 by okkie okkie
Quote:
Im certain females in the scene and in general are perfectly capable to fend for them self if they feel like it. No white knights needed.


Since this thread is originally about females being empowered I thought I might chime in with my female scener opinion ONCE AGAIN:

Kicking ass despite the odds being against it costs a lot of energy so I'm personally relieved when we, female sceners, don't have to do it all by ourselves every goddamn time. I could also explain what "whiteknighting" truly is to you (hint: this isn't it) but I shouldn't have to because it's not my job to educate you about how "common sense" works. Also I'm pretty fucking angry right now and thankful for those, who can find some other words other than "Go fuck yourself". Cause that's, honestly, my opinion.

And no, it's not just "hip" to speak about sexist bullshit right now - you're just forced to read it for once because this ain't a demoparty where you can just choose to not listen when we speak for once. Or have you ever asked some of us how we're dealing with the bullshit? Maybe try that next time you visit a "woke demoparty".
added on the 2021-04-13 14:10:31 by darya darya
Quote:
Also I'm pretty fucking angry right now


all this for a thread made by someone who in principle is (and id bet everything i own) on your side value-wise

this is stupid.
added on the 2021-04-13 14:13:38 by oerg866 oerg866
Oh shit, ok you right, I take that little token of empowerment that has been thrown into my lowlife direction and go back to being "seen and not heard"
added on the 2021-04-13 14:15:58 by darya darya
Quote:
this is stupid.


It is, but not for the reasons you think it is.
added on the 2021-04-13 14:18:03 by okkie okkie
are you okay?

..... oh right you're the same person who flipped at me on discord like twice for opinions that were fundamentally on your side as confirmed by ne7 and others
added on the 2021-04-13 14:18:21 by oerg866 oerg866
(this was directed at darya, not okkie)

and okkie stop trying to decide what's for whom to decide, as soon as it gets publicly dramatized it's up for public discourse which in turn is nothing for *you* to decide
added on the 2021-04-13 14:19:27 by oerg866 oerg866
i'm not deciding anything my man, I'm just saying that all these personal opinions presented as 'fact' are in fact, not facts at all, but opinions.

You can think and post whatever you want, and I can call you out on that as much as I like!
added on the 2021-04-13 14:21:23 by okkie okkie
you can refute the points if you wish but these random "not your call BROSKI" posts are white noise in an already noisy discussion, either you have something to add or you don't >.>
added on the 2021-04-13 14:26:36 by oerg866 oerg866
nah, it's fine, you started with that 'you have to be hellbent to find sexism in this thread!' and i just told you that that is not true, as other people have voiced as well. Don't need to waste more words on it than that tbh.

Also, I dunno what you are arguing, as you seem to imply to have the same values, but are somehow really mad when called out on it? I don't even know anymore lol.
added on the 2021-04-13 14:30:08 by okkie okkie
oerg866: Pro life tip - if you loudly proclaim to be on someone's side, don't go "Oh, this is how you feel? LOL, you're wrong!" at them.

Quote:
so in the effect, some bad stuff keeps happening without people going against it. this makes it look like it's ok, even if it's not -- even if the intentions are well! if you stand on someone's toes, completely by accident, you also stop doing that and apologise, right? so why does it have to be different in this case?


This. That sheer lack of human decency, that inability to simply say "Shit, this was not my intention. Sorry if it came out wrong" is appalling.
added on the 2021-04-13 15:07:56 by kb_ kb_

login