pouët.net

The scene's opinion of GNU/Linux

category: code [glöplog]
On MSX, you can try UZIX

BB Image
added on the 2014-05-21 13:51:40 by ham ham
Actually, I used PowerC on C64 a while ago, and found it to be remarkably UNIX-like as well.
They included a sort of C-shell to make it easy to invoke the compiler, editor and linker from a commandline.

Anyway, go make a demo about it ;)
added on the 2014-05-21 13:52:26 by Scali Scali
Quote:
Quote:
Relevancy? As if Linux would run on C64 or Amiga.


http://www.linux-m68k.org/
Quote:
Current releases of the m68k kernel are stable on the Amiga, Atari, many Apple Macintosh models, and several VMEbus single-board computers from BVM, Motorola and Tadpole.


Fine, you answered to the 2nd half of my post. What about the first half? Relevancy? As if something that falls under "linux demo" of current times would run on linux-m68k... In which case, would someone really target linux-m68k as platform, or "Amiga"?
added on the 2014-05-21 14:27:03 by xTr1m xTr1m
Thinking about it further, you all show how versatile and widespread the solemn word "linux" can be, how can a demo target "linux" and simply "run"?
added on the 2014-05-21 14:28:44 by xTr1m xTr1m
besides, mister thread starter, which of these ~15 http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform%5B0%5D=BeOS&page=1&order=release&reverse=1 demos show the superiority of beos over windows? :D
added on the 2014-05-21 14:43:51 by Maali Maali
Quote:
Thinking about it further, you all show how versatile and widespread the solemn word "linux" can be, how can a demo target "linux" and simply "run"?


Congratulations! You figured out the relevant part!
As I already said earlier, linux is not a platform.
added on the 2014-05-21 14:46:20 by Scali Scali
Quote:
linux is not a platform.


Careful... linky :) You're walking over very thin ice :D
added on the 2014-05-21 14:52:12 by xTr1m xTr1m
"Universal platform" is a contradiction in terms.
added on the 2014-05-21 14:54:06 by Scali Scali
Yeah, the BeOS comment made me giggle the most. ^_^
added on the 2014-05-21 15:11:28 by okkie okkie
Meta discussion is off-topic!!!11
added on the 2014-05-21 15:30:12 by yzi yzi
beos was so superior it didnt even need "real applications" :))
added on the 2014-05-21 15:32:46 by Maali Maali
Considering there are myriads of old and/or obscure platforms that keep getting releases all the time, it's hardly meaningful to tell anyone to make prods to any specific platform.

From earlier:
Quote:
kusma: But from my perspective it seemed like you called me and other stupid for not writing portable demo-code

Porting Windows releases to Linux or other *nixes is not really a meaningful requirement, and asking for it would be (at least almost always) pointless.

However, asking *nix users to make a Windows version? I don't think this is pointless at all. Windows still runs OpenGL without any significant hiccups, porting this way isn't really that hard.
added on the 2014-05-21 15:43:04 by Trilkk Trilkk
If it's easily portable to a different platform, how well can it push the limits of the original platform? Is it a "linux demo" at all, but rather a cross-platform one?
added on the 2014-05-21 15:52:50 by yzi yzi
Quote:
If it's easily portable to a different platform, how well can it push the limits of the original platform? Is it a "linux demo" at all, but rather a cross-platform one?

Good point. But then again, how many OpenGL demos on Windows are any different in this regard? (unless sizecoding of course)
added on the 2014-05-21 15:58:53 by Trilkk Trilkk
Questions I'd ask myself before moving to another platform:

- Does it have better dev tools?
- Does it have some interesting new hardware / software to play with?

Linux would give me worse dev tools, the same hardware (or possibly worse, if driver support isn't as good and I don't get the same access), and I'm not aware of any exciting-yet-standard software support in it. So moving to linux would be a losing move.

Amiga on the other hand would give me worse tools but fun new hardware, it's a jump I could definitely make.

And, since I'm currently on mac, windows is an option - that would give me potentially better tools and hardware access. If I spent more time making demos it's something I'd definitely consider.
added on the 2014-05-21 16:02:06 by psonice psonice
personally i would find a linux demo that comes as source packed with the toolchain needed to compile it and an easy to use command/script to invoke it pretty awesome, basically removing the need for any preinstalled libs.
but of course it would only make sense if its goal is to run on as many archs as possible (not just x86/amd64), autodetects it and scales its features/rendering accordingly at compile-time (as opposed to just aim for the slowest possible configuration).
added on the 2014-05-21 16:15:16 by wysiwtf wysiwtf
wysiwtf: nothing is stopping you from creating that demo! Go for it!
added on the 2014-05-21 16:18:35 by okkie okkie
Here's a novel idea: Java demos!
Write once, run anywhere!
added on the 2014-05-21 16:24:05 by Scali Scali
lol
added on the 2014-05-21 16:33:31 by okkie okkie
Quote:
Here's a novel idea: Java demos!
Write once, run anywhere!


did that once, doesn't work on any system anymore...

Quote:
personally i would find a linux demo that comes as source packed with the toolchain needed to compile it and an easy to use command/script to invoke it pretty awesome, basically removing the need for any preinstalled libs.
but of course it would only make sense if its goal is to run on as many archs as possible (not just x86/amd64), autodetects it and scales its features/rendering accordingly at compile-time (as opposed to just aim for the slowest possible configuration).


haha, no libs, good laugh... especially the idea to make it platform independent by removing the dependencies to libs...
added on the 2014-05-21 16:39:08 by skomp skomp
Quote:
Quote:
Here's a novel idea: Java demos!
Write once, run anywhere!


did that once, doesn't work on any system anymore...


Heh, my 2 Java demos still work fine on Windows, probably also on other platforms.
added on the 2014-05-21 16:49:09 by Scali Scali
i mean dependencie on the preinstalled libs, of course you would have to ship a shitload of them in the buildpakage (along with all sorts of compilers, makescripts and whatnot).
and yeah such a demo would probably not be worth the immensive time and testing needed to create it, but i was trying to stitch together a use-case where the fact of one os running on multiple platforms can shine =)
added on the 2014-05-21 16:53:03 by wysiwtf wysiwtf
Java as an oldskool platform! That would kick ass. Running on 1995 hardware or something. Wow. C64 and Amiga are so dead.
added on the 2014-05-21 16:53:57 by yzi yzi
Quote:
i mean dependencie on the preinstalled libs, of course you would have to ship a shitload of them in the buildpakage (along with all sorts of compilers, makescripts and whatnot).
and yeah such a demo would probably not be worth the immensive time and testing needed to create it, but i was trying to stitch together a use-case where the fact of one os running on multiple platforms can shine =)


yeah, you could just go ahead and try to compile libSDL on various *nix platforms w/o any tweaks, funtimes...


not

also: which compiler? gcc? clang? different distros, different compiler, different behaviour... ohh, and what about the distros which come w/o compiler?
added on the 2014-05-21 17:00:55 by skomp skomp

login